CFAES Give Today
OSU Extension

College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences


"A sound investment in today's youth and tomorrow's leaders"


What is a county 4-H Endowment?

County 4-H endowments are permanent funds made possible through individual donations, business and corporate contributions, and fund raising events.

Principal is invested permanently though the Ohio 4-H Foundation to generate the maximum interest possible. The interest income returns to the county to fund local 4-H youth development education programs, and adds value to the county endowment to keep pace with inflation.

Does Union County have a 4-H Endowment Fund?

Yes. Our 4-H Endowment was officially recognized by the Ohio State University Development Fund in 1999. Many local individuals deserve credit for their time and money spent to realize this goal. 

Is a gift to the Union County Endowment Fund recognized as a gift to The Ohio State University?

Yes. Contributions are sent to the State 4-H Office earmarked for the Union County 4-H Endowment Fund and deposited with the Ohio 4-H Foundation which is a part of the university's development fund.

Why is it necessary to have a county 4-H Endowment?

County, state and federal budgets are very restricted, and usually cannot be stretched to provide more than the basic necessities. Interest income from county endowments can supplement these budgets in addition to annual contributions to help assist with: 

  • awards for youth and adult volunteers
  •  providing added incentives
  •  development of new programs
  •  youth and volunteer education
  •  scholarships
  •  purchasing of program materials

Who manages the interest earned at the county level?

Monies generated through earned interest is handled by a five member Union County Endowment Board. These individuals have a concern for the local 4-H program and distribute money through a formal process. A separate account is maintained for this purpose.

Is my gift tax deductible?

Yes.  The Ohio 4-H Foundation and Union County Endowment is a 501 (c)(3) charitable foundation. Consult your accountant or tax attorney for specific guidance on your gift.

You Can Help!

Contributions to The Union County 4-H Endowment Fund may be made in several ways: 

  • Current Gifts
  • Planned Gifts
  • Cash
  • Life Insurance
  • Property
  • Bequests
  • Gifts-in-kind
  • Charitable trusts
  • Securities
  • Memorials
  • Corporate matching gifts

Who should I contact if I have further questions?

Contact: Christy Leeds, 4-H Educator, at 937.644.8117 or toll free 1.800.589.8584. You can also e-mail her at