A 4-H'er can enroll in any club and take a Shooting Sports Project. In order to complete the project the 4-H'er must be under the adult guidance of a 4-H Certified Shooting Sports Instructor. Instructors have completed a weekend training workshop in each discipline. They learn techniques necessary to teach 4-H'ers the basic fundamentals of shooting or archery.
To become a Shooting Sports Member you must be a member of any Union County 4-H Club
- Must complete Safe Use of Guns or Basic Archery
- Must attend one of the safety meetings along with at least 1 parent or guardian
- Must attend a minimum of 6 out of 10 range events
- Does not need to own a firearm or bow to be a participant
- Must be 12 years old and have completed a firearm project previously to be eligible for pistol
Shooting Sports Program Goals
- To teach safe and responsible use of firearms and archery equipment including sound decision-making, self-discipline, and concentration.
- To enhance development of participant’s self-esteem, character, and personal growth through safe, educational, and socially acceptable involvement in a shooting activity.
- To promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship, and ethical behavior.
- To encourage understanding of natural resource concepts through participant’s interests in shooting and hunting.
- To expose participants to the broad array of lifelong activities related to shooting sports.
- To strengthen families through life-long recreational activities.
- To compliment and enhance the impact of existing safety and hunter education programs.
Shooting Sports Disciplines
- Hunting and Wildlife
- Living History
Each discipline teaches safety, concentration, self-discipline, self-confidence, goal-setting, decision-making, and courtesy as the young people learn basic skills and build toward more advanced activities. Both cooperative and competitive skills are included. Participants are exposed to local policies, regulations, laws, and ethical behavior both by repeated demonstration and through personal practice.
More information about Shooting Sports is available at:
Union County Shooting Sports
Union County Office
18000 State Route 4, Suite E
Marysville, OH 43040
For a printer friendly flyer, "Click Here".